The name LEASIDE came from the Lea family, who arrived from Lancashire, England 1819. John Lea later built what was claimed to be the first brick house built in York township. When John Lea Sr. died in 1854, his son William built an octagonal home on the acreage which he named Leaside. It was located close to the present site of the Leaside Memorial Gardens. The Ontario and Quebec Railway, later taken over by Canadian Pacific, purchased a few acres from William Lea for the line to Peterborough and Ottawa. The Leaside Junction Station was built in 1894. This is when Leaside became a name and a location on the map. The Leaside Station was one of Toronto's busiest stations for 75 years.